Grilled Chicken Salad
Grilled slices of red onion and citrus marinated chicken breast are served over mixed greens, topped with blue cheese crumbles, tomato wedges and drizzled with a balsamic vinaigrette.
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 boneless chicken breast halves
1 medium red onion, cut in 1/4-inch slices
Vegetable oil, as needed
6 cups mixed salad greens
2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
1 medium tomato, cored and wedged for garnish
- For Dressing: Combine the dressing ingredients in a blender and mix at low speed. Set aside.
- For Marinade: Whisk together lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic, basil and pepper in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- For Chicken: Place the chicken on a sheet of plastic wrap and cover it with a second sheet. Pound chicken to a thickness of 1/2-inch. Transfer the chicken to the marinade bowl and cover. Marinate in refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill.
- For Salad: Place the onion rounds in a single layer on a baking sheet and brush lightly with vegetable oil, turn over and spray the other side.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place alongside the onion rounds. Grill the onion rounds and the chicken for 6 minutes per side. Let the chicken cool slightly and slice.
- Distribute an equal amount of the mixed greens on 2 chilled salad plates; scatter the onion rounds and the sliced chicken on top. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon blue cheese over each. Garnish with the tomato wedges. Drizzle the dressing over the salads or serve it on the side.
Makes 2 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.