Hot or Cold Indonesian Chicken Salad
There are two choices for serving this tasty Indonesian chicken salad, hot over rice, or cold over salad greens. It's wonderful either way!
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch strips
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 teaspoon fresh grated gingerroot
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup diagonally-sliced green beans
1 cup matchstick sliced carrots
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup sliced and peeled cucumbers
1/3 cup sliced green onion
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup chopped honey roasted peanuts for accompaniment
Hot cooked rice or lettuce or accompaniment
- In large heavy non-stick frypan or wok, pour oil and heat over medium high temperature about 1 minute.
- Add chicken, gingerroot and garlic; stir-fry about 3 minutes.
- Add beans and cook 3 minutes more.
- Add carrots, salt, sugar, vinegar, turmeric and water; stir-fry 3 minutes more.
- Stir in coconut milk, cucumbers, green onion and pepper; stir-fry about 1 minute to heat through.
- To serve hot, top with peanuts and serve with hot rice.
- To serve cold, refrigerate in shallow dish at least 2 hours or overnight; arrange on lettuce and sprinkle with peanuts.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: Prepare vegetables and measure all ingredients before starting to cook so vegetables will remain crisp and not overcook.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 363 calories; 42.8 protein; 13.7 g total fat; 5.0 g saturated fat; 16.0 g carbohydrates; 99 mg cholesterol; 423 mg sodium.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.