Marinated and Grilled Apple and Red Onion Salad
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Apple Association.
1/4 cup walnut oil
1/4 cup light vegetable oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 small red onion, peeled
2 eating apples plus 1 apple, thinly sliced, for garnish
1 tablespoon light vegetable oil
1 head romaine lettuce, cut into 1/4-wide ribbon
- For Dressing: Whisk the two oils together in a mixing bowl; add the vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper. Whisk lightly, just enough to blend the ingredients. Set aside.
- For Salad: Slice the onions into thin circles and the apples into 1/4-inch thick rings. Place in mixing bowl, toss with 4 tablespoons of the dressing, and marinate for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Place romaine lettuce ribbons in a large mixing bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use. Lightly oil grill.
- Drain onions and apples, then grill over low to medium heat for 2 minutes on each side. Place grilled onions and apples in a mixing bowl, toss with 6 tablespoon of dressing, and refrigerate until cool.
- Toss lettuce and dressing and arrange on plates; drain the onions and apples and arrange on top of lettuce. Garnish with thin slices of fresh apple.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: To lower the fat content, reduce the amount of oil in the dressing during preparation.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 315; Calories From Fat: 60; Total Fat: 21g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Fiber: 5g; Sodium: 320mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the U.S. Apple Association.