Pear Salad with Blue Cheese
This lovely autumnal salad, with sweet juicy pears, crunchy toasted walnuts and crumbles of creamy, salty blue cheese drizzled with a red wine vinaigrette, offers a wonderful marriage of contrasting flavors and texture.
Red Wine Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon (1 small) shallot, minced
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted
1 tablespoon olive oil
5 ounces baby greens, washed and dried
2 Asian or Bosc pears
1 cup ( 6 ounces) Wisconsin Blue (or Gorgonzola) cheese, crumbled
Raspberries, for garnish (optional)
- Chill four serving plates.
- For Vinaigrette: In a small jar, combine the vinegar, shallot, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper. Add the olive oil, and shake to incorporate. Shake again before serving.
- For Salad: In a hot sauté pan, toss the olive oil and walnuts quickly to toast (about one minute). Remove from pan and cool on paper towel.
- Divide the lettuce equally onto the four chilled plates. Cut the pears into quarters and core. Thinly slice the pears and evenly distribute over the lettuce (about 1/2 pear per portion). Top the lettuce evenly with the cheese and the walnuts.
- Garnish each salad with raspberries, if desired. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the entire salad.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.