Sonora Sunset Chicken Salad
This terrific recipe for Sonora Sunset Chicken Salad was submitted by Carol Baker, Castle Rock, CO.
2 large chicken breast halves, skinless and boneless
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 cups salad greens
1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup sliced carrot
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup sliced cucumber
1/2 cup sliced red onion
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained, liquid reserved
Sonora Spice Mix (recipe follows)
Sonora Dressing (recipe follows)
4 corn tortillas, cut in strips, fried crisp
- Place chicken in baking pan.
- In bowl, mix garlic powder, lemon pepper, and cayenne pepper; sprinkle over chicken. Place in 400°F (205°C) oven and bake 30 minutes or until fork can be inserted with ease. Remove from oven; cool, cut into long strips and set aside.
- In large salad bowl, place greens. Add tomato, avocado, carrot, celery, cucumber, onion and grated cheese; toss gently.
- In saucepan, place beans with 1/4 cup reserved liquid; heat over low heat. Stir in 2 teaspoons Sonora Spice Mix.
- Place bean mixture and chicken on top of salad ingredients; add Sonora Dressing and toss gently. Top with tortilla strips.
Makes 4 servings.
Sonora Spice Mix: Mix together 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon coriander, 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon onion powder, 1/8 teaspoon oregano leaves, 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper , 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/8 teaspoon white pepper and 1/8 teaspoon thyme leaves.
Sonora Dressing: Mix together 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons cooking oil, 3 tablespoons catsup and 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.