This crunchy, nutritious salad was named after the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York where it was created. If desired, walnuts may be toasted for extra crunch!
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
6 medium apples
3 celery stalks
2/3 cup walnut pieces
1/3 cup raisins
- In small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar.
- Cut apples into bite-size pieces.
- Chop celery into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In large bowl, mix together apples, celery, walnuts and raisins. Stir in about half of dressing, or to taste until well coated.
- If desired, serve on Boston or curly lettuce leaf.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Note: There is dressing enough for 2 salads; it will keep up to 3 weeks in refrigerator.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy California Walnuts.