Black Bean Burgers
Wholesome and great tasting vegetarian black bean burgers served with a cilantro mayonnaise.
Black Bean Burgers:
3 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
2 1/2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
1 medium-size sweet onion, diced
1 (4.5-ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
1/2 cup egg substitute
1 cup ketchup
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white cornmeal
2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
12 hamburger buns, split and toasted
1/3 cup egg substitute
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Suggested Toppings: lettuce leaves, tomato slices
- For Black Bean Burgers: Mash beans coarsely with a potato masher in a large bowl. Stir in oats and next 6 ingredients.
- Cover and chill 1 hour. Shape mixture into 12 patties.
- Stir together flour and cornmeal; dredge patties in mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties in batches 6 minutes on each side, adding additional oil as needed. Serve on hamburger buns with Cilantro Mayonnaise and desired toppings.
- For Cilantro Mayonnaise: Process egg substitute, dry mustard, vinegar, and 1/2 cup oil in a blender just until combined. With blender on high, add remaining 1/2 cup oil in a slow, steady stream. Stir in chopped fresh cilantro. Makes 1 1/4 cups.
Makes 12 servings.
- Uncooked patties may be frozen. Thaw in refrigerator, and cook as directed. Freeze cooked patties up to 1 month. To reheat, bake in a shallow pan at 350°F (175°C) for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Mayonnaise may be covered and stored in refrigerator up to 1 week.