Garlicky Vegetable Sandwich with Brick Cheese
Reminiscent of the classic Italian dish, Eggplant Parmigiana, this veggie and cheese 'hero' is sure to please.
1 (about 1 1/4 pound) eggplant
3 tablespoons roasted garlic-flavored olive oil - divided use
6 ounces shredded Wisconsin Brick cheese
4 Italian sandwich rolls (submarine rolls)
8 ounces bottled roasted red peppers, rinsed, dried and cut into strips
1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
16 large basil leaves (optional)
Shredded romaine lettuce
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Cut the eggplant, unpeeled, into slices one inch thick. You will have about 8 slices.
- Brush both sides of the slices with 2 tablespoons of the garlic olive oil and place them on an oiled jellyroll pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and divide cheese over the slices. Bake 3 to 5 minutes longer, until the cheese melts and begins to brown. Remove from oven.
- Split the sandwich rolls, horizontally. Brush the insides with the remaining garlic olive oil.
- Place two slices of the cheese-covered eggplant on each roll bottom.
- Place roasted red pepper strips on top.
- Divide and scatter the chopped olives over the strips.
- Place four basil leaves on each sandwich, top with romaine and cover with sandwich roll top.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.