Grilled Vegetable Pitas
A bounty of grilled garden vegetables and mozzarella cheese is tucked inside warm whole-wheat pitas and drizzled with Italian dressing.
1 1/2 cups zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 1/2 cups green onions cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 cup yellow squash, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 cup red bell pepper, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 cup baby eggplant, sliced 1/4-inch thick
3/4 cup Italian dressing - divided use
2 tablespoons dry Italian seasoning mixture - divided use
6 whole-wheat pitas, warmed
1 1/2 cups shredded Wisconsin Mozzarella or Provolone cheese
- In large bowl, toss vegetables with 1/4 cup dressing and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning; mix well.
- Spread in single layer on baking sheet and broil and each side 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove from broiler and cool 10 minutes. Brush with an additional 1/4 cup dressing. Reserve.
- Brush tops of pitas with remaining 1/4 cup dressing.
- Lay vegetables evenly over tops. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
- Top each pita with 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
- Broil until cheese starts to melt and bubble. Remove from heat and serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.