New Age Egg Salad
A hearty egg salad with shredded cheddar and asiago cheeses, served on oatmeal bread with thinly sliced cucumbers, sliced cheese and lettuce.
6 large hard-boiled eggs, chopped
2/3 cup shredded cheddar
1/4 cup grated Asiago
1 tablespoon grated yellow onion
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons plain yogurt or sour cream
1 tablespoon mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
12 slices oatmeal bread, plain or toasted
24 thin cucumber slices 6 lettuce leaves
6 slices colby, Monterey Jack, or cheddar cheese
- For the egg salad, in a bowl, combine the eggs, cheeses, and onion. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, and pepper; mix well. Add to the egg mixture, and mix until combined. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before using.
- For Sandwiches: Spread about 1/3 cup of the egg salad on 1 slice of bread, and top with 4 slices of cucumber. Top with a slice of cheese and a lettuce leaf. Top with another slice of bread. Cut and serve.
Makes 6 servings.
- Substitute smoked cheddar for regular cheddar in the salad. Other sliced cheeses may be substituted in the sandwich also.
- Try substituting chopped egg whites instead of whole eggs.
- Try low-fat or no-fat mayonnaise, instead of real mayonnaise.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.