Sweet Potato Foil Packet Tacos
This recipe was the winner in the 2011 Sweet n' Healthy Blogger Recipe Contest; Perry's Plate.
1/2 pound ground turkey
3 tablespoons taco seasoning
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 to 3 medium)
2 tablespoons butter - divided use
3/4 teaspoon salt - divided use
1 1/2 cups fresh chopped spinach
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream and/or guacamole for accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground meat. Stir in taco seasoning, tomato sauce and beans; set aside.
- Lay out 6 (12-inch) long pieces of aluminum foil; spray each piece with non-stick spray.
- In the center of a piece of foil, place 1 cup of sweet potatoes, 1 teaspoon butter, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup spinach, 1/3 cup taco meat and 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Fold sides of foil in over the mixture; fold the top and bottom ends of the foil inward and seal. Repeat with remaining foil and ingredients.
- Place packets on rim medium cookie sheet; bake until sweet potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream or guacamole.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.