Brandied cherries are ideal as a topping for ice cream, cheesecake or your favorite bread pudding. And with brandied cherries, gift giving couldn't be easier. Simply portion brandied cherries into bottles or canning jars, wrap the lids with festive wrapping or fabric, and tie with a bow. Store in a cool dark place, and you've got a gourmet gift for all of the special people on your list.
2 pounds Northwest fresh sweet cherries, stemmed and pitted
2 cups granulated sugar
1 quart brandy
- Combine cherries, sugar and brandy; mix well. Store in tightly covered jar in a cool place for 6 or more weeks.
Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.
- Serve over ice cream.
- Dress up cheesecake with a spoonful of cherries.
- Top flan with brandy and cherries.
- Spoon cherries over pound cake and top with whipped cream or cream fraîche.
- Combine with fruit in season and serve with special cookies.
- Dress up bread puddings with a topping of brandied cherries.
- Add to your favorite chocolate cake or brownie batter.
Recipe courtesy Washington State Fruit Commission.