Refrigerator Cucumber Pickles
These crunchy refrigerator cucumber pickles are ready to eat in 24 hours.
3 large cucumbers
1 large red bell pepper
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons dill seeds
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- Cut unpeeled cucumbers into 1/16-inch slices; you should have about 6 cups.
- Seed bell pepper and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips.
- In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, bell pepper, and onion. Add salt and dill seeds; stir until well combined. Let stand, uncovered, for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and vinegar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables and mix gently.
- Spoon into a glass or ceramic 2-quart container; or use several smaller containers or jars. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving.
Makes about 2 quarts.