Spiced Watermelon Pickles
Before putting into jars, a few drops of red or green food coloring will make this pickled condiment an attractive addition to a holiday menu.
Rind of 1 large watermelon
About 1 quart water
1/4 cup kosher salt
8 whole cinnamon sticks, broken up
1 tablespoon whole cloves
1 tablespoon allspice berries
1 quart cider vinegar
8 cups granulated sugar
- Peel and remove all green and pink portions from rind. Cut into 1-inch cubes. Place cubes in a large cooking pot, add 1 quart water, or enough to cover cubes, and the salt; stir to mix well. Cover and set aside to soak overnight.
- Next morning, drain and cover cubes with fresh water. Cook cubes over medium heat until almost tender. Drain.
- Tie the cinnamon sticks, whole cloves and allspice berries in a cheesecloth to form a spice bag.
- In a large saucepan, combine the vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the spice bag and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to stand for 15 minutes, then remove spice bag.
- Add the drained watermelon rind to the syrup. Cook over medium-low heat until the rind turns clear.
- Pack into sterile jars and seal according to manufacturer's instructions.
Makes 6 pints.