Sweet Cherry Spoon Fruit
Serve this delicious concoction as a spread or a topping. The beet in the recipe provides extra color as well as an earthy flavor.
2 pounds firm sweet cherries, pitted
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 red beet, washed, trimmed, and quartered
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Place cherries and sugar in a large bowl; toss gently to mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer cherries and their syrup to a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves and syrup comes to a boil, about 10 minutes. Boil gently for three minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Transfer cherries with a slotted spoon to a clean bowl and set aside.
- Boil the remaining syrup in saucepan for one minute over medium heat. Add the lemon juice and beets, and continue to boil until syrup reaches the softball stage or 240°F (115°C) on a candy thermometer (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- Return cherries to syrup mixture and bring back to a boil; cook for two minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool completely, then discard beets.
- Transfer the cherry mixture to a clean quart jar with a tight-fitting lid. Store in the refrigerator.
Makes 1 quart.