Taste of Summer Strawberry Chutney
This terrific strawberry chutney recipe was submitted by Edwina Gadsby of Great Falls, Montana.
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup strawberry preserves
1/2 cup strawberry wine vinegar
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 teaspoons minced peeled gingerroot
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 medium navel orange
4 cups whole strawberries, hulled and diced
1/2 cup sliced almonds
Strawberry fans (optional)
- Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large non-aluminum saucepan; bring to boil. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 15 minutes or until slightly thickened and syrupy, stirring frequently.
- Add strawberries; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in almonds.
- Spoon into a bowl; cover and chill.
- Serve with nonfat or light cream cheese and gingersnaps. Garnish with strawberry fans, if desired.
Makes 3 1/4 cups.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.