Cinnamon and clove flavor these watermelon pickles.
1 large watermelon
3 quarts cold water
3/4 cup kosher salt
8 cups ice cubes
2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon whole cloves
9 cups granulated sugar
3 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
3 cups water
1 lemon, washed and thinly sliced
6 (1-inch) cinnamon sticks
- Cut melon into fourths. Remove flesh from melon; reserve for another use. Peel melon; cut rind into 1-inch cubes.
- Place rind in a large crock. Combine 3 quarts cold water and salt, stirring until salt dissolves; pour over rind. Add ice cubes. Cover and let stand in a cool place 5 to 6 hours. Drain well; rinse and drain again.
- Place rind in a large Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; boil 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to crock. Set aside.
- Tie 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks and the cloves in a cheesecloth bag. combine spice bag, sugar, vinegar, and 3 cups water in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; boil 5 minutes. Add lemon slices. Pour syrup mixture over rind. Cover rind mixture, and let stand in a cool place 12 to 18 hours.
- Place rind mixture in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Removed and discard spice bag.
- Pack hot rind into hot jars; add hot syrup, filling to 1/2-inch from top. Place a 1-inch cinnamon stick in each jar. Remove air bubbles, and wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling-water bath 10 minutes.
Makes 6 pints.