Walnut Stuffed Salmon
An entrée impressive enough to serve guests! The dish packs a mega punch of nutrition with walnuts and salmon both being rich in omega 3 fatty acids. The addition of brown rice and spinach rounds out the nutritional balance and flavor. Serve with steamed seasonal vegetables or green salad.
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups chopped spinach
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/2 cup chopped California Walnuts
1 pound salmon fillet, skinned and pin bones removed
- In large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook until tender but not browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, spinach, salt and pepper and cook just until spinach starts to wilt, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked rice to spinach and stir in lemon zest until well combined.
- Spread spinach mixture evenly over salmon and sprinkle with cheese and walnuts. Roll up gently using toothpicks or butcher’s twine to secure.
- Place salmon on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet and bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until fish is cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to cutting board and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy California Walnuts.