Carolina Shrimp and Grits
Creamy, cheesy grits are topped with Cajun-spiced, buttery sautéed shrimp and sprinkled with crisp bacon crumbles.
4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup grits
1/2 cup butter
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3 large eggs
3/4 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup diced onion
2 tablespoons butter - divided use
21 to 26 fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 1/2 teaspoons herbs de Provence
1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
2 slices bacon or strips of ham, diced and cooked crisp
Minced fresh parsley
- For Grits: Combine water and salt in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Gradually add grits and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter, cheddar cheese and garlic powder.
- Beat eggs and half-and-half together. Add to grits.
- Pour mixture into greased 2 quart casserole.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 45 minutes.
- For Shrimp: Sauté onion in 1 tablespoon butter in saucepan until softened. Add shrimp, herbs de Provence, Cajun seasoning and remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Cook, stirring constantly, until gray sauce forms.
- Pour over grits and garnish with crumbled bacon or ham, parsley and lemon.
Makes 4 servings.