Cedar-Planked Salmon with Blueberry Zinfandel Sauce
Grilling on a cedar plank adds a subtle smoky flavor to this salmon with blueberry Zinfandel sauce.
1 Cedar plank
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup carrots, diced
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup celery, diced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup Zinfandel Wine
2 cans beef broth
1 bay leaf
1 Bouquet garni, thyme and parsley
1 cup blueberries
- Soak cedar plank for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Brush the cedar plank with olive oil and lay the fish on. Check for pin bones and then season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Place cedar plank on grill and cook covered for 10 to 20 minutes
- To prepare the blueberry zinfandel sauce to a large pot heat olive oil and and add carrots and onions and sauté until golden brown, about 11 to 12 minutes.
- Next add celery and sauté for 8 minutes
- Add tomato paste and cook until it's a rust color, about 4 minutes .
- Add the Zinfandel (or a dry red wine) and simmer until mixture is reduced by half.
- Next add 2 cans of beef broth, bay leaf, and a Bouquet garni and simmer until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon. (If the sauce is too thin make a paste with equal parts butter and flour and stir into sauce, cooking until thickened.)
- Add blueberries and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the salmon with the Blueberry Zinfandel Sauce.
Makes 2 to 3 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.