Crab and Mushroom Cakes with Chipotle Aïoli
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 chipotles chile in adobo sauce (from a 7.5-oz. can), seeded and minced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Crab and Mushroom Cakes:
1 1/3 cups brown rice
1/2 cup Great Northern or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
4 teaspoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 small jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
1 large portabella mushroom, gills removed and finely chopped
4 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 ounces button mushrooms, finely chopped
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 large egg, beaten
4 teaspoons low-fat mayonnaise
3 tablespoons grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper - divided use
6 ounces refrigerated crabmeat, cleaned and chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
- For Chipotle Aïoli: Place all aïoli ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- For Crab and Mushroom Cakes: Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a large saucepan. Add rice, turn heat down and simmer 30 to 40 minutes Drain any excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, place drained and rinsed beans in a large bowl. Mash thoroughly using the back of a fork or potato masher. Set bowl aside.
- Heat butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. When melted, add onion and jalapeño. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add portabella, cremini and button mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are almost dry. Stir in flour and cook 2 more minutes Remove from heat and, when cooled to room temperature, fold mixture into the mashed beans.
- Stir egg, mayonnaise, warm cooked rice, cheese, lemon juice, cilantro and cayenne into mashed beans. Fold bean mixture into shiitake mushrooms, crab and green onions (the mixture will be sticky).
- Portion into 24 mounds by packing mixture into 1/4 cup measure or small ice cream scoop, arranging in a single layer on a baking sheet. Use a flat-bottomed mug or large glass to flatten each mound into a 2 to 3-inch patty. Sprinkle with half of the panko crumbs, pressing in lightly. Use a spatula to carefully turn each patty. Sprinkle with remaining panko.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a non-stick 10-inch skillet until hot over medium heat. Working in batches, cook patties 5 to 8 minutes or until well browned on both sides, adding oil as needed. Keep warm until ready to serve with the Chipotle Aïoli.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 324; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 54mg; Total Carbs: 43g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 12g; Sodium: 483mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.