Crab Cakes with Sherry-Cayenne Mayonnaise
Golden crab cakes with a touch of jalapeño chile served with a zesty sherry-cayenne pepper dipping sauce. Sure to be a hit at your next party.
2 pounds crabmeat, picked over
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
1/4 cup minced yellow bell pepper
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 1/2 celery ribs, minced
1/2 jalapeño chile, seeded and minced
1 teaspoon salt - divided use
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper - divided use
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise - divided use
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil - divided use
2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Check crabmeat for pieces of shell. Gently squeeze out any excess moisture. Do not break up the large pieces of meat as these enhance the texture of the crab cakes.
- In a large bowl combine the crabmeat, bread crumbs, bell peppers, onion, celery, jalapeño and 3/4 teaspoon salt and half the pepper. Gently mix until evenly combined. Whisk together 1/2 cup mayonnaise with the eggs in a small bowl. Pour over crab mixture and gently combine. Form mixture into about 30 cakes, 2 inches in diameter and 1/2-inch thick. Place on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sherry wine vinegar and cayenne pepper with the remaining mayonnaise, salt and pepper.
- When the crab cakes are ready, heat half the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a single layer of crab cakes to the skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes total. Add oil as needed. Drain crab cakes on a paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- Serve immediately, garnished with lemon wedges and with the dipping sauce on the side.
Makes 8 servings.