Crabcakes with Watermelon Dipping Sauce
Recipe courtesy of the National Watermelon Promotion Board.
Watermelon Dipping Sauce:
1 cup red seedless watermelon, minced and drained
1/2 cup bottled chili relish
8 ounces cooked, shelled and picked over crab meat, drain
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2 cup dry seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup drained sweet pickle relish
Butter for frying
- For Watermelon Dipping Sauce: Mix together the watermelon and relish and serve with the crabcakes for dipping.
- For Crabcakes: In a bowl, mix the crab, eggs, mayonnaise, bread crumbs and sweet pickle relish.
- Heat a generous amount of butter (you may use a combination of canola oil and butter if desired) in a 10 to 12-inch sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Using 2 teaspoons as tools, drop small dollops (about 1 teaspoon full) of the crab mixture into the butter and fry, turning once, until golden brown on each side. Fry the puffs in batches keeping them warm on a baking sheet in the oven as they come out of the pan.
- Serve crabcakes with dipping sauce.
Makes about 16 crabcakes.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Watermelon Promotion Board.