Baked Spinach with Three Cheeses
This delicious side dish can also be served as an appetizer by spooning portions atop thin, small slices of fresh, rustic bread.
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup grated Edam cheese
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons fresh bread crumbs
1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 (10-ounce) packages ready-to-use fresh baby spinach
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°C (175°C). Lightly butter a 12-inch oval gratin pan or an 11x7x2-inch baking dish.
- Mix onion, feta cheese, Edam cheese, blue cheese, dill, nutmeg, bread crumbs, egg yolk and nutmeg in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add spinach and sauté until wilted and juices evaporate, about 3 minutes. Transfer to strainer; drain well. Shake strainer up and down to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Arrange spinach in prepared baking dish. It will make a thin layer. Top with onion mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Heat broiler. Broil spinach, about 6 inches from broiler element, until cheese is golden brown on top, watching closely to prevent burning, about 2 minutes.
- Serve warm or hot.
Makes 4 side dish or 12 appetizer servings.