Cheddar-Rice Pepper Cups
Bell pepper cups are stuffed with a tasty cheddar cheese, tofu and rice mixture. This makes a delicious and nutritious meatless entrée.
3 large green peppers
8 ounces firm tofu, drained and finely chopped
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped radishes
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 cups cooked rice*
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) grated cheddar cheese - divided use
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Cook in boiling salted water for 5 minutes; drain. Arrange cut side up in 12x8x2-inch baking dish; sprinkle with salt.
- Cook tofu, vegetables and garlic in butter in large skillet until vegetables are tender crisp. Toss with rice, 1 cup cheese, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Fill each pepper half with 2/3 cup mixture.
- Bake, covered, at 350°F (175°C) 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over cups.
- Bake 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Makes 6 servings.
*According to the USA Rice Federation, 1 cup uncooked long grain rice cooked in 2 cups liquid for 18 to 20 minutes will yield approximately 3 to 4 cups cooked rice.
Recipe provided courtesy of USA Rice Federation.