Pan-fried country corncakes, crispy on the outside, moist and tender on the inside. Serve these tasty cakes with a dollop of sour cream and salsa.
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup boiling water
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Sour cream for accompaniment
Salsa for accompaniment
- Cook corn as directed on package; drain and cool.
- Combine corn, cornmeal, boiling water, honey and salt in a medium bowl; mixing well. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold gently into corn mixture.
- Spread 1 tablespoon oil onto griddle and heat over medium-high heat.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
Makes 12 corncakes.