Country Corn Bread Dressing
Traditional country-style corn bread dressing to stuff the holiday bird or bake as a side dish casserole.
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1 pan corn bread, cooled, crumbled (about 6 cups)*
1 (13.75-ounce) can chicken broth
1 large egg, beaten
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons ground sage
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Sauté celery and onion in margarine until tender.
- Combine celery mixture and remaining ingredients. Toss lightly until bread is thoroughly moistened.
- Place in 8-inch square baking dish or 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until heated through.
- Or, lightly stuff dressing into body and neck cavities of one 12-pound turkey; roast according to standard roasting directions.
Makes 6 cups dressing.
*Note: Dressing can be prepared using 1/2 pan crumbled corn bread (about 3 cups) and 3 cups soft bread cubes.
Recipe provided courtesy of The Quaker Oats Company.