Fried Green Tomatoes
Recipe courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.
4 green Florida tomatoes
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup yellow corn meal
1 large egg
1/3 cup milk
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Vegetable oil, for frying
- Preheat oven to 200°F (93.3°C).
- Slice unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Mix flour, corn meal, salt and pepper in a shallow plate. In a small bowl, beat egg and milk until combined.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/4 to 1/2-inch in a large cast-iron skillet; heat to 375°F (190°C).
- Dip sliced tomato into egg mixture then dip into flour mixture coating both sides.
- In the skillet, fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 4 to 6 minutes on each side or until brown. Drain on paper towels or a rack. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then keep warm in preheated oven until ready to serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 136; Calories From Fat: 20; Total Fat: 2g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 56mg; Total Carbs: 25g; Protein: 6g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.