Green Tomato Fries with Fiery Ketchup
A fun and tasty way to enjoy some of the bounty of a backyard garden. This dish makes a great appetizer, too!
1 pound (4 to 6) green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch sticks
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow corn meal
3 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning salt
1 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
4 to 6 cups vegetable oil for frying
- In large bowl combine seasoned flour ingredients, mix well.
- In separate bowl combine cayenne ketchup ingredients.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 400°F (205°C).
- For each serving dip 4 ounces tomato sticks in buttermilk letting excess drain off, and then dredge in seasoned flour. Be sure to get all sides, press lightly while flouring for best adhesion.
- Fry individual portions so you do not crowd fryer. Deep fry for about 1 minute, until outside is golden brown. Drain on absorbent toweling. Serve with fiery ketchup for dipping.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the California Tomato Commission.