Idaho® American Aligot Potatoes
Recipe by Adam Hegsted, Executive Chef of Coeur d'Alene Resort in Idaho.
2 pounds Idaho® Russet potatoes
1/4 pound butter
1/4 pound cream cheese (optional)
1/2 pound mozzarella, whole milk
1/4 pound white cheddar
1/2 cup whole milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot with salted water, add potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Let cook until a paring knife can pierce the flesh and come out without lifting the potato.
- Heat mixing bowl and keep warm until ready to whip.
- Drain potatoes thoroughly, letting excess water and steam evaporate for a minutes or two.
- Heat butter, cream cheese, and milk to a scald. Keep warm.
- Rice potatoes into warmed mixing bowl and whip until most lumps, if not all, are removed or mashed.
- Slowly pour in milk and mix until combined. Whip for 3 minutes until potatoes have lightened.
- Add cheeses and mix twice. Let sit for 2 minutes to let cheese become softened. Stir until cheese is incorporated.
- Pull at the table to show stretchiness, and dish out to guests.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.