Idaho® Potato and Root Vegetable Gratin
Recipe by cookbook author and chef, Michel Nischan of The Dressing Room in Westport, Connecticut.
6 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil - divided use
1 large rutabaga (approximately 1 pound), peeled and thinly sliced
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
6 large Idaho Potatoes, peeled
1 cup very thinly sliced Vidalia onions
1 pound large parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, thyme, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Using clean hands, rub 2 teaspoons of olive oil onto bottom of an 8x12-inch casserole dish. Layer enough rutabaga slices to cover bottom of dish, overlapping slices by no more than 1/2-inch. Season slices lightly with salt and pepper.
- Thinly slice one of the potatoes lengthwise and layer slices over rutabaga, overlapping slightly. Slice more potatoes as needed to finish layer, then season lightly with salt and pepper. Lightly brush or pat potato slices with 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Spread half of the onions evenly over potatoes. Layer half of the parsnip slices on top of onion layer, overlapping them slightly. Brush parsnips with 1 teaspoon of oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Repeat layers, seasoning each as before, and finishing with potato slices. If any vegetable slices are left over, alternate rows of vegetables and potatoes on top layer.
- Brush top layer with 1 teaspoon of the oil, then season with salt and pepper. Cover tightly with foil and place in the oven to bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove cover, brush top with remaining teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle with herbs.
- Bake, uncovered, for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until top is nicely browned. Remove from oven and allow to sit 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 230; Total Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Total Carbs: 47g; Protein: 4g; Sodium: 91mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.