Idaho® Potato French Fries with Lime and Cilantro
Recipe courtesy of Marie Grimm, Director of Culinary Operations at the Olive Garden in Orlando, Florida.
4 pounds medium Idaho® potatoes, unpeeled and scrubbed
Canola oil for deep-frying, as needed
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Using a French-fry cutter, cut potatoes lengthwise into 1/3-inch by 1/3-inch strips. Place in cold water to prevent oxidization and to wash out excess starch.
- Blanch potatoes: Bring a large pot of water to boil; add potato strips; allow water to return to a full boil; cook 30 seconds more; drain. Place on lined cookie sheet; hold refrigerated.
- Combine garlic, lime juice and salt in small dish; refrigerate 1 hr.
- Remove potatoes from refrigerator. Thoroughly pat dry. Deep-fry in 365°F (185°C) canola oil for 3 to 6 minutes, until crispy and golden brown. Drain, then place in a stainless-steel bowl; reserve warm.
- Stir cilantro into garlic mixture. Add to fries, tossing to coat. Serve in a paper cone, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.