with Butter Pecan Topping
This is a wonderful side dish for the holidays! Tender chunks of parboiled yam are baked in a buttery maple syrup and topped with crunchy pecan streusel.
4 pounds yams*, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch chunks
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces - divided use
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (205ºC). Butter 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Bring large pot of water to boil; add yams. Cook about 4 minutes or until water returns to simmer; drain. Rinse under cold water.
- Arrange yams in prepared dish. Season with salt. Pour syrup over yams. Dot with 3 tablespoons butter. Cover and bake about 25 minutes or until yams are almost tender.
- Mix flour and brown sugar in medium bowl. Add remaining 1/2 cup butter. Cut in until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add pecans; mix.
- Sprinkle pecan mixture over yams; bake 20 minutes or until tender.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
*Sweet potatoes may be substituted.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.