Mini Penne with Carrot Purée and Peas
Here's a sure-fire way to get the kids (and others) to eat their peas and carrots!
1 (16-ounce) box Barilla Piccolini Mini Penne
1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups frozen green peas
3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and white pepper to taste
- Boil the carrots until thoroughly cooked (6 to 7 minutes or until tender), drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan, bring cream to a boil and remove from heat.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, reserving 1 to 2 ladles of cooking water.
- Place half the carrots* and cream in a food processor; cover and process until smooth, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Return carrot and cream mixture to sauce pan. Add peas and remaining carrots slices; simmer over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Drain pasta and toss with the sauce, add 1 to 2 ladles of water from pasta as needed to thin sauce; stir in olive oil and cheese before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
*May purée all the carrots, if desired
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Barilla America.