Mom's Thanksgiving Dressing
This terrific recipe for Mom's Thanksgiving Dressing was submitted by Jeri Anderson.
2 loaves white bread
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion, can add up to 1 cup
1/2 cup butter
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
3 tablespoons sage
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning, or more to taste
- Night Before Thanksgiving: Tear up bread the night before, leave in bowl to dry.
- Morning of Thanksgiving. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Sauté celery and onion in butter, season with salt and pepper and part of the sage.
- Dry turkey thoroughly inside and out with paper towels. Season inside of Turkey, both ends, after trimming off fat, and tail, with poultry seasoning.
- Season bread in bowl with more sage, pour celery and onions over it. If dressing is too dry, boil water in pan you used for sauté and add as needed until dressing is moderately moist.
- Stuff neck area first and fold skin under. Turn wings back to hold neck skin against bac of turkey. Flip breast portion up and stuff body cavity with dressing. You can either use pins to close or tin foil to cover dressing. Place Turkey, breast side up, on flat rack in a shallow baking pan.
- About two thirds of the way through, cover breast loosely with foil to prevent overbrowning. Follow cooking times for your size turkey.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of www.butterball.com.