Norwegian Baked Apples
Tender baked apples stuffed with a cinnamon and nutmeg-scented mixture of shredded Gjetost cheese, chopped pecans and raisins.
4 medium Rome Beauty or Golden Delicious apples
4 ounces (1 cup) shredded Gjetost cheese
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup apple juice
2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Wash and core apples. Peel a strip around the top third of each apple. Cut off thin slice from bottom of each to allow apples to stand flat. Place apples in an 8 or 9-inch baking pan.
- Combine cheese, pecans, raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg. Place filling in and around the apples.
- Combine apple juice and butter in small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until butter melts. Pour into dish around apples. Cover dish loosely with foil.
- Bake apples 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake until apples are tender, basting with juices every 10 minutes, about 35 minutes longer. Serve apples warm with pan juices.
Makes 4 servings.