Onion, Apple & Cranberry Stuffing
An exceptional homemade bread stuffing for your holiday bird complete with cooked and chopped turkey giblets, celery, onion, apple, fresh sage, thyme and cranberries.
8 cups soft bread crumbs
1 pound turkey giblets
3 tablespoons butter
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 apples, peeled, cored and diced
4 teaspoons minced fresh sage
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1/2 cup cranberries, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Spread bread crumbs on a cookie sheet, and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until toasted.
- In a medium saucepan, add turkey giblets and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes. Drain; reserving liquid. When cool enough to handle, finely chop the giblets, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, sauté celery ribs and onion in butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Mix in apples, cook 3 minutes longer. Combine reserved liquid, sage, thyme, chopped cranberries, bread crumbs, giblets, salt and pepper and add to apple mixture. Mix well.
- Use as a poultry stuffing, or bake in a 13x9x2-inch rectangle baking dish for 30 minutes at 325°F (160°C).
Makes 12 servings.