A hearty bread stuffing with traditional—and not so traditional flavors—including rye bread, chopped oysters, sausage, mushrooms and caraway seed.
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
2 cups water
2 cups chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced mushroom
1/4 cup butter
1 (11-ounce) package croutons
1/2 pound rye bread, diced
1 pound sausage
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon caraway seed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups oysters, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Combine chicken bouillon granules, poultry seasoning, and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until the bouillon dissolves; remove from the heat.
- Sauté chopped celery, chopped onion, and sliced mushrooms in butter in a saucepan. Add the bouillon mixture, croutons, diced rye bread, sausage, eggs, caraway seed, salt, pepper, and chopped oysters.
- Spoon into a greased baking dish.
- Bake, covered, for 1 hour.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes longer, or until brown and crisp around the edge.
Makes 12 servings.