Pecan Baked Apples
Fragrant, tender baked apples, stuffed with a mixture of brown sugar, pecans, raisins, coconut, spices, lemon peel and topped with fruit preserves.
6 large Rome Beauty or Golden Delicious apples
2/3 cup plus 6 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 tablespoons pineapple, peach or apricot preserves
1 cup apple juice
2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Core apples. Peel top third of each apple. Cut off thin slice from bottom of each to allow apples to stand flat. Place apples in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Finely chop 2/3 cup pecans, raisins and coconut in processor. Transfer to small bowl. Mix in brown sugar, lemon peel, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Divide filling equally among hollows in apples. Spread 1 tablespoon preserves over top of each apple. Press 1 tablespoon chopped pecans atop each.
- Combine apple juice and butter in small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until butter melts. Pour into dish around apples. Cover dish loosely with foil.
- Bake apples 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake until apples are tender, basting with juices every 10 minutes, about 35 minutes longer. Serve apples warm with pan juices.
Makes 6 servings.