Recipe by Richard Pietromonaco, Food and Beverage Vice President-Corporate Chef of Heartland Brewery in New York City, New York.
2 1/2 pounds Idaho® russet potatoes - divided use
2 ounces bacon, double-smoked, cooked, chopped
6 ounces pepper Jack cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons chives, chopped
1 ounce butter, melted
1 ounce heavy cream
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
Salt, as needed
2 cups all-purpose flour
6 large eggs, lightly whipped
2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
- Boil 2 pounds of potatoes. Cool, peel and mash.
- In a large bowl, combine bacon, cheese, chives, butter, cream, pepper and salt to taste; blend well. Roll into 1-ounce pieces, place on wax paper-lined sheet pan and chill overnight.
- Using a box grater, shred remaining potatoes. Place in shallow bowl.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl.
- Roll tater tots in flour to lightly coat then coat in egg. Roll in shredded potatoes to form crust. Return to sheet pan and chill.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot (or deep-fat fryer), heat oil to 375°F (190°C) and fry balls until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel to drain. Season with salt and serve.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.