German-style braised red cabbage with apple, bacon, raisins, juniper berries and clove.
1 whole red cabbage
1/4 pound bacon
1/2 cup raisins
2 to 3 bay leaves
6 to 8 juniper berries
1 to 4 whole cloves
1/2 cup red wine
2 to 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
Water as needed
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Wash and coarsely shred the cabbage.
- Coarsely dice the bacon and the peeled onion.
- Sauté in a large pot the bacon and onion. Add a little vegetable oil as necessary. After the diced onion is light golden in color, add large handfuls of the shredded cabbage. Stir as the cabbage glazes. (Careful! Do not let it burn!) When all cabbage has been added and is glazed (about 1/2 volume from the starting amount of the cabbage); add raisins, bay leaves, juniper berries, cloves, wine, sugar and enough water to cover.
- Peel and shred the apple, and add into pot. Simmer until tender (1 to 2 hours).
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Add additional sugar and wine to taste. Mix flour with a little cold water and add to thicken.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of The Leafy Greens Council.