Savory and Sweet Stuffing
Recipe courtesy of California Raisin Marketing Board.
16 slices whole wheat bread, cubed (8 cup)
1/4 cup butter
1 cup California raisins
2 cups hot water
1 stalk celery
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large McIntosh apple, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
1 cup chopped pecans
1 large egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch shallow baking pan; set aside.
- Toss bread cubes with 3 tablespoons melted butter. Spread in baking pan and toast in oven at 350°F (175°C), rotating once, until browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Soak raisins in 2 cups hot water for 15 minutes and drain.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter to large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add celery and onions; cook, 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Then, stir in apples and mushrooms; continue to cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Turn into large bowl, and combine with bread, pecans, raisins and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in egg and add broth to moisten, stirring until well combined.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan; cover with foil and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 20 minutes. Then, remove foil and continue to bake until golden brown on top and crisp around edges, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Serve piping hot.
Makes 16 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Calories: 190; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Total Carbs: 24g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 4g; Sodium: 220mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Raisin Marketing Board.