Choose shrimp or oysters—or a combination of both—for this stuffing.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 1/4 cups water
2 cups raw medium shrimp, peeled, deveined or whole oysters (about 1 pound)*, shucked
1 (7-ounce) package cubed herb-flavored stuffing mix
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Generously grease a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium high heat, add celery and onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in water and remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Spoon into prepared casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Makes 8 servings.
*Or, substitute two 6 or 8-ounce cans shrimp or oysters for fresh seafood, reserving liquid. Add water to liquid to equal 2 1/4 cups. Proceed as directed above.
Microwave Directions: In 3-quart microwaveable casserole, microwave celery, onion and butter at HIGH 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Microwave at HIGH 8 to 10 minutes or until of desired moistness, stirring every 4 minutes.