Smashed Potatoes with Onion and Garlic
"This recipe was given to me by my sister in Ohio. She fixed this off the top of her head one evening as she was in a hurry. Her family sure does love them and my retiree group does, too." Recipe submitted by Pat M. of Pensacola, Florida USA.
4 very large baking potatoes (or 8 medium)
1 onion, chopped coarsely
3 teaspoons chopped garlic (I use ready-chopped garlic in a jar)*
2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) margarine or butter
- Scrub potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks. Cover with water and cook until tender.
- Remove from heat and drain all but about 3/4 cup of water. You can drain more and replace it with 1/2 cup milk.
- While potatoes are cooking sauté chopped onion and garlic in 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) margarine until onions are clear.
- Smash potatoes coarsely with a wire whisk.
- Add the 2 sticks (1 cup) of margarine and then add cooked onions and garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. Serve hot. If you have any left over they are very tasty the next day. Enjoy!!!
Makes 8 servings.
Optional: To make a little different taste add 8 ounces of sour cream instead of milk.