Southern Fried Okra
Breaded and fried okra is a favorite Southern side dish that has gained in popularity throughout the States.
1 pound fresh okra
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white or yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Wash and slice okra; pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine eggs and buttermilk; add okra, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Pour oil to depth of 2 to 3-inches in a Dutch oven of deep-fat fryer and heat to 375°F (190°C).
- Drain okra, small portions at a time, using a slotted spoon.
- Dredge okra, small portions at a time, in flour mixture.
- Fry okra in small batches until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.