Southwest Jalapeño Cornbread Stuffing
Jalapeño peppers and fresh cilantro add a touch of the Southwest to this tasty cornbread stuffing recipe that also features onion, celery and pecans.
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
3 jalapeño peppers, seeded, membranes removed and diced
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
8 cups cornbread, crumbled
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Broth, turkey or chicken as needed
- Melt butter in skillet. Add onion, celery and jalapeño peppers and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add pecans and cook for one more minute.
- Place cornbread in a large bowl. Add onion mixture and seasonings. Toss to mix. Add enough turkey broth to moisten.
- Use as a stuffing or spoon into a greased baking dish. (If baking in a dish and moister stuffing is desired, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup more broth to stuffing before spooning stuffing into dish.)
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) until the top has formed a crust and the stuffing is heated through, about 25 to 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 10 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Honeysuckle White, a division of Cargill, Incorporated. Used with permission.