Here's a hearty and very tasty yellow squash casserole your whole famly will love.
1/4 cup water
2 pounds small yellow squash or zucchini, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons Cabot butter, melted - divided use
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup milk
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese - divided use
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a saucepan, bring water, squash, onion and salt to a boil. Cover pan and simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes. Drain thoroughly, then mash.
- Thoroughly mix in pepper, 1 tablespoon butter, flour, eggs and milk. Set aside about 3 tablespoons cheese and mix rest into squash. Pour into a buttered 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Bake until knife inserted in center comes out almost clean, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining butter with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole, then sprinkle with reserved cheese. Return to oven until crumbs brown slightly and cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Vermont Cheese Council.