Stuffed Idaho® Potato Hashbrowns
Recipe courtesy of Chef Benjamin Thoen of the Good Thyme Woodfire Grill and Catering in Washburn, Wisconsin.
8 large Idaho® russet potatoes - divided use
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 to 3 large cloves garlic
Pinch ground black pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup fresh spinach
3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
3 green onions
1/2 of small onion thinly diced
- Boil 4 to 6 medium to large chopped Idaho® russet potatoes until soft. Mash potatoes until smooth, adding heavy cream until creamy enough to spread, but not runny.
- Mix in 2 to 3 minced garlic cloves to taste. Add salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Grate 3 large Idaho® russet potatoes and fry in medium frying pan two thin hash brown crisps until crispy enough to hold form. Invert on a plate and place back in pan to fry second side of the hash brown crisp. Gently pat dry of grease, and set on serving dish.
- Between the bottom and top crisp spread garlic mashed Idaho® Russet Potatoes. On top of hot mashed potatoes sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese. On top of cheese lay out in a circular pattern one layer of fresh spinach leaves. On top of spinach leaves, sprinkle a thin layer of mozzarella cheese and red onion. Cover with the second hash brown crisp.
- Place in 350°F (175°C) oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven.
- Garnish the top crisp with two or three spinach leaves, mozzarella cheese, and very thin chopped green onion.
- To serve, slice rounded stuffed hash browns into triangular pieces (like pie).
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.