Sweet Potatoes with Onions and Cranberries
A delicious sauté of sweet potatoes, onions and cranberries.
3 pounds sweet potatoes
3 medium yellow onions ( 1 1/2 pounds)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 (5-ounce) package Sunsweet Cranberry Fruitlings (dried cranberries)
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 tablespoons fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Remove onion skins and cut onions into narrow wedges.
- In large, 12-inch skillet with tight fitting lid, melt butter over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes and onions and cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until onions are light golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Add cranberries, wine, broth and thyme. Bring to boil, cover, then reduce heat and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender and liquid is almost absorbed. Season with salt and pepper.
- If made ahead, cool, cover and refrigerate. Reheat gently to serve.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.