The Absolute Best Vidalia Onion Rings
Beaten egg whites folded into the batter creates a light and crispy coating for sweet Vidalia onion rings—that's right, we're talking the absolute best tasting deep-fried onion ring recipe.
Several large Vidalia onions
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 large egg, separated
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Peanut oil, for deep-frying
- Slice onions into rings.
- In one bowl, mix together flour, salt and baking powder.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolk, then stir in milk and vegetable oil.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, stir until smooth.
- In a third bowl, beat egg white until soft peaks form, then fold into egg-flour mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Dip onion rings into batter and deep fry.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe courtesy of the Vidalia Onion Committee.